Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Banana Peanut Butter Bread from Mavis

    Once again Mavis has come through with another irresistible recipe.  So I want to share.

     Here is her post -


When we ended up with 4 free ripe bananas in one of our boxes of “chicken scraps” this past week, and I knew right away I wanted to make a batch of banana bread with them. As I was reaching for a cookbook, I suddenly remembered a recipe for peanut butter banana bread I had torn out of an old issue of Cooking Light magazine a few years ago. 

 The original recipe called for flax seeds, chopped peanuts, and plain, fat free yogurt, which I didn’t have. So I just did what I always do, and made due with what I had on hand. And you know what? The peanut butter – banana bread turned out delicious! 

Here is the recipe. 

 Ingredients for Bread 
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana 
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt {I used Yoplait Simplait yogurt} 
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter 
3 tablespoons butter, melted 
2 large eggs 1/2 cup granulated sugar 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
3/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 

Ingredients for Glaze 
1/3 cup powdered sugar 
1 tablespoon 2% milk 
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter 


 Directions 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

To make the bread, combine the first 7 ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until nice and smooth {about 1 minute}. 

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice and add to the wet ingredients until well blended. 

Pour the bread mixture in to buttered and floured pan{s} and bake for 1 hour if using a standard loaf pan or 35 minutes if using mini loaf pans. Check to see if the bread is done by inserting a wooden toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. If not, bake the bread for a few minutes longer and check again. 

Cool pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. The pop the loaf out of the pan. Place the peanut butter banana bread on a cooling rack and prepare the glaze buy whisking together the powdered sugar, peanut butter and milk. Drizzle glaze over bread and wait about 15 minutes for the glaze to set. Slice and serve with a honking huge glass of milk. 

This recipe makes 3 mini loaves or 1 large loaf. 


 For this bread I used my USA Strapped Mini Loaf Pans. They have a perfect 5 star rating on Amazon, and I think they are a nice alternative to making a giant loaf of quick bread. Enjoy a small loaf now, and freeze the rest for when company comes by. Awesome Possum!

 So - there you have it.  Another great recipe to try out.  I just don't know what I would do without all the good stuff from Mavis.  Next week I am going to share some of her fall garden goodies.
Be sure to check back.

No comments:

Post a Comment