Sunday, August 26, 2012

Women's Equality Day

     I had no idea - that today is Women's Equality Day.  I didn't even know that it existed, til this morning.  While watching the somewhat local news I hear them talking about how this 'Day' is coinciding with the National Go Topless Day.  WHAT ?  Did they really say that?  Yep - exactly what they said.  Of course I had to check it out; I don't always (almost never) believe what I hear on the news. 

     Well - here is an article I found from Examiner.com and will pass on to you -

Go Topless Day is August 26 is the fifth anniversary of the controversial holiday. The day founded in 2007 by Claude Vorilhon ("Rael"). He was known for fighting for women having the right to go without a shirt on the same way it's alright for men to do so.
Women's Equality Day 2012 is also August 26 -- quite a coincidence. Protests will be held around the world over this controversial topic. There's sure to be a lot of topless women out demonstrating. Would women going topless in public be too much for global society to deal with? The most common places women are seen without a top on are at topless or nude beaches in different regions of the world, especially Europe. The issue will always be a hot topic because women's breasts are often viewed much like a sex organ and for women to be just as casual as men are without a shirt on would potentially be too distracting. Is that a sentiment that will ever truly change?
A rally for Go Topless Day will be held in Washington, D.C. as well in other countries, according to GoTopless.org. A map even shows topless events happening around the U.S. Sunday.
How do you feel about women being seen topless in public? Ladies, would you feel comfortable showing off your breasts for the sake of equality?
 
     Well now - I want to ask you all -  What will you do for Women's Equality Day?   More importantly, my question is - What will you do for National Go Topless Day?  

     In Venice Beach, California there was a parade of sorts, with women and men alike, walking down the boardwalk carrying signs proclaiming rights to go topless.  Their theme was - "Free the breast, free the mind."  I will spare you the full library of photos that I found.  I have no problem with the topless thing or with nudity at the right time, in the right place, but I don't think that Google would like photos posted.

     The Venice Beach theme had me thinking about myself.  If I free my mind any more than it is currently, I will be locked up and someone is sure to throw away the key.   For now I will contemplate just how to celebrate both of these special events and just keep on working.


No comments:

Post a Comment